Tuesday, September 22, 2009

i teach 2nd grade

I don't know how appropriate it is to post pictures of my students online, so here is a picture of me, circa 1982, the same age as my current students who are so fresh!

When I was in 2nd grade, my reading teacher brought in ashes from the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I also remember the "inside" camping trip we took and the countless mystery stories I wrote with her encouragement. I NEVER thought that I would love teaching this same grade, but I do.

We've had a tent pitched inside our classroom since last week and tomorrow it's OUR inside campout...telling our own ghost stories, eating trail mix, watching the nebulae aswirl on navy blue butcher paper, using flashlights and making shadow puppets, whispers, watching for deer and rodents...i am so going camping this weekend.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

That sounds amazing! I want to attend your class. I can only imagine the excitement your students must feel.

Analoghuman said...

Already in 2nd grade, you're looking into the distances . . .