as i ran yesterday at dusk, when through the peephole at papago park, the sun slipped into something more comfortable for sleep, when at the canal, the water reflected a comic strip version of a cloudy sky, when the majestic desert stood tall and still, ready to shake in the blaze of the sunset, when feet pounded, breath was measured, and eyes widened, when a brave, white-tailed rabbit nibbled as an admirer observed its long hind paws, when the smell of the creosote bush told the air that rain IS possible in this teeming but dry desert, when the rising, iridescent moon invited the departing sun for a slow dance...when all of this glowed around me, i was reminded of the running/photo club and wished that i could capture a snap of such solitary beauty. here, i tried to catch the moon mid-opening dust dance...
Sunday, October 04, 2009
smelling the creosote
my roommate, Ruth, one of my best roommates ever, provides our home with a cache of movies, mostly comedies--stuff i don't usually see in the theatre. anyway, i watched The Yes Man (YES MAN, YES MAN, YES MAN!) the other day, and besides really enjoying the movie, Zooey Deschanel, and the idea that we should all be saying YES to living and not just existing!, i found the running/photo group (they run and take photos at the same time) corny but, what-the-heck, interesting.
today, after conference ended and i picked up speed again, i returned to papago park with camera in hand, ready for magic. the light wouldn't be replicated, though the run was completely fulfilling. again, i rubbed creosote inbetween my fingers, forcing open the fuzzy white pompom to leave its faint perfume on my tips for quick sniffing highs during the run. since i had my camera, i took a few shots (saguaros - the younger and the older). i'll keep doing the running/photo club thing, 'tho not from the treadmill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I loved the crappy movie YES MAN. And telling anyone around L.A. that I enjoyed it is sort of embarrassing at times when they laugh at me. But I really loved that movie. Since seeing it 4 months ago, I've tried adopting 'the power of yes.' Its sort of amazing to see what happens when the self sensor is stowed away. Example: I went on a hike with a friend, I shot a riffle for the first time, I followed through on hanging out with work friends. And all of it felt wonderful. Yes is so much better than no.
P.S. I love that you started your own running photography club.
Ah! Can I be a part of the club, for reals?
the club is open to all, of course :). maybe we can set up a running/photo club blog. okay. let's do it. i like clubs, but the clubs where everyone belongs.
ashley-what other "crappy" movies do you like? looking at your blog helps me to incorporate the power of POSITIViTY and yes into my day!
Post a Comment